My Portfolio project is the investigation and development of a single-player level using the Skyrim Engine. I will be creating a Dwarven Ruin based on an armory / war factory. This level will focus on my single-player level design skills using a game engine.
I will start by researching single-player level design theory and playtesting vanilla and modded Skyrim Dwarven Ruins.
Secondly, I will produce floor plans, first on paper, then digitally, then with added notes / puzzle walkthroughs.
Thirdly, I will create a blockout for the level to showcase its gameplay and level flow - this won't include enemies, or puzzles.
When the blockout is done I will get the level tested and apply changes accordingly.
Lastly, I will add-in more gameplay elements inc. enemies and puzzles. Followed by post-process actors such as lighting, and more art assets to add life into the level. And finally release the map on steam.
1) GDC VAULT, (2014), ITERATIVE LEVEL DESIGN PROCESS., Burgess, Joel., [Online], Available from: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020171/Le ... n-in-a-Day, [Accessed 19th November 2015]
2) GAMASUTRA, (1999), Beggining Level Design., Ryan, Tim., [Online] Available from:http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1 ... part_1.php, [Accessed 19th November 2015]
3) World Of Level Design, (2012), How to Have the Best Level Design and Game Environment Year., [Online], Available from: http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categ ... t-year.php, [Accessed 19th November 2015]
4) GAMASUTRA, (2013), Skyrim's Modular Approach to Level Design., Burgess, Joel., [Online], Available from: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JoelBurg ... Design.php, [Accessed 19th November 2015]
5) GAMASUTRA, Learning From The Masters: Level Design in The Legend Of Zelda., Stout, Mike., [Online], Available from: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6 ... hp?print=1, [Accessed 19th November 2015]